Video markeing can be frustrating. You’ve seen the stats on how successful it is for branding and generating business but you’ve also seen the resources it takes. If your bottom line is a return on investment then pay attention to these industry secrets.
- Audience – Before you start shooting know exactly who this video is for and where to reach them. The best and most successful online video marketing is designed with a destination in mind before a single production idea is put on paper. Clean & Clear is a good example.
“We made a dramatic shift in our video marketing approach because our audience made a dramatic shift in their media habits. Ten years ago, 45% of teens owned a cell phone. Today, 70% of teens own a smartphone. In addition, 92% of teens engage with at least two devices simultaneously, and digital video is the #1 way to influence their perceptions,” said Group Brand Director Kacey Dreby.
This comprehensive video marketing strategy on YouTube, generated millions of views for its anchor series, SEE THE REAL ME, and saw double digit increases in market share. “YouTube is their most popular site for video consumption, which is great news for Clean & Clear; teen girls are actively searching for makeup tutorials and skin care tips, and they’re happy if that content comes from a brand they trust. We have to be ready with the authentic content and guidance they’re looking for,” said Dreby.
- Seamless Collaboration – Video production involves your entire marketing team and even the top executives of the company. You’re going to go through tons of edits and everyone has to be on the same page. In order to have the best communication possible use tools like collaborative video cloud LookAt. It enables users to add comments and draw annotations on a specific frame of the video. Collaborators can see each other’s feedback and respond in real time. You also can view video versions side-by-side and other cool, time-saving features.
- High Production Value – The sleeker the better. This doesn’t mean you have to go out and buy the most expensive cameras or hire the most expensive production team. There’s numerous articles on how to create great looking corporate videos, the point is that the quality of the video represents the quality of your brand so shoot accordingly.
- Entertaining Narrative – The last thing you want to do is make another cheesy self-promotion video where everyone knows exactly where you’re going with the story! Find ways to mix it up, surprise and entertain the audience. This is a video from the Red Cross about a fire escape plan (yawn) BUT they made it sexy and added a funny twist to the narrative.
- Multi-platform Distribution
This is where your planning of audience comes in handy. Every platform needs a special approch, just like your regular content needs to be different for Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. You can’t just put it on your website and be done. You must promote the video on multiple platforms.
Maybe you’re announcing a coupon or some type of giveaway in conjunction with the video for a young adult demographic, that content would be better served in Snapchat.
According to Business Insider 77% of college students use Snapchat daily and 58% of college students would be likely to purchase a brand’s product or service if they received a coupon on Snapchat.
There’s even more tricks to getting the most out of your videos on multiple platforms. If you want to shoot something live, like an interview or behind the scenes of your marketing video, do it on Periscope and post to Twitter. Also, you don’t want your audiences that are not on Periscope or Twitter to miss out on this content so what do you do – save it and upload the video to YouTube.
Ready to collaborate on your videos? Sign up for LookAt.